We’ve long known our town was a hidden gem, but Ruidoso, NM was recently named House Method’s most underrated town in the state. When explaining their pick, the article cited Ruidoso’s plentiful hiking and horseback riding trails, our proximity to Ski Apache and the Lincoln Historic Site, our world class casinos and more. Now that the secret of Ruidoso, NM is out, why not come and experience it for yourself? In this article we’ll expand on just a few of the reasons why we think you’ll have a great time here in Ruidoso.
World-Class Hiking, Biking, and Horseback Riding in Ruidoso
- Lincoln National Forest covers 1,103,441 acres in four counties of Southeastern New Mexico? If that’s not enough room to hike in, there may never be a park big enough for you. The Forest features mountains, meadows, and streams, and is a pristine wilderness just waiting to be explored. Ruidoso is the gateway to all Lincoln National Forest has to offer.
- Located just outside the National Forest, Grindstone Lake is the starting point for about 14 miles of mountain biking trails that weave in and out of the Forest itself. Not into Mountain Biking? Hiking and Horseback riding are also permitted on the trails, and are easy to access for people of all ages.
Ruidoso, NM is Rich with History
- Re-live the history of the wild west at the Lincoln Historic Site. Lincoln is an old western town frozen in time, made famous in one of the most violent eras in New Mexico history. Walk in the footsteps of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, and learn all about it at the Lincoln County Courthouse museum, which was at the center of it all. Located minutes away from Ruidoso, you don’t want to miss Lincoln!
- If you’re still hungry for more history, the Hubbard Museum of the American West has art, artifacts, and antiques from throughout American History. From ancient Native American tools and technology to the horse-drawn carriages of the 1800’s, the Hubbard Museum is sure to ignite your curiosity.
Roll the Dice in Ruidoso
- If casinos strike your fancy, the Inn of the Mountain Gods is one of New Mexico’s premiere destinations. Play poker, blackjack, slots and even bingo in world-class luxury. Nearly every weekend there are top-tier entertainers performing at the resort, so make sure to check out the schedule before you plan your trip!
- In the mood for some horse racing? The track at Ruidoso Downs, home to the All American Futurity, known as the richest race in Quarter Horse racing, is your next destination. Ruidoso Downs also hosts live outdoor concerts, motorcycle rallies, ostrich races (yes, that’s a thing) and the Billy the Kid Casino. There’s always something to do at Ruidoso Downs.
This is just a small sampling of the plethora of activities for the whole family in Ruidoso, NM. Come by and see for yourself why we really are the state’s most underrated town. If hiking, gaming, and sightseeing are your things and camping maybe isn’t, we’ve got cozy Ruidoso cabins for rent just a stone’s throw from the hiker’s paradise of Lincoln National Forest. New Mexico is also an RV campers paradise, and in addition to our cabins, we have 49 RV sites with full hookups. Rainbow Lake Cabin and RV is the best way to experience all Ruidoso and New Mexico have to offer.